Return of the Giants!
We are very pleased to announce the return of the giants at our Giants of Steam Autumn Gala on 12th, 13th & 14th October.
Come and marvel at the big friendly giants!
Two very special locomotives will be visiting us this year –
- Gresley A4 Pacific No. 60009 “Union of South Africa” (courtesy of the Cameron Trust)
- LNER Thompson Class B1 No. 61306 “Mayflower” (courtesy of David Buck)
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see the iconic “Union of South Africa” before she retires in 2019!
Neither of these beautiful steam engines has ever visited us before, so don’t miss this opportunity to
come and see them in all their glory!
A selection of our own wonderful locos will also be running.
A special intensive timetable will be operating over the weekend so there will be lots of opportunities to travel behind these magnificent Giants and to watch them in action!
- Harveys Brewery of Lewes will be with us in their Beer Tent at Horsted Keynes station (platform 5)
- Our Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park station (platform 1) will also be offering:-
- Breakfast from 8.00am on both Saturday & Sunday
- Late opening until 11.00pm on both Friday & Saturday for drinks & snacks
- Further attractions and activities across the railway – check back for details as they are announced
Our event timetable is now available to view and download!
Want to guarantee your seat behind 60009 ‘Union of South Africa’?
Booking is now open for reservations for one return trip departing from Sheffield Park. Chose between departures times of 10.00am, 12.45pm and 3.30pm on each of the three days.
Please note – These tickets also include your entry to the event on the day for which they are purchased, and can be used for travel on any other trains during that day, subject to the availability of seats.
Don’t miss a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel on a very special Golden Arrow!
On the evening of Saturday 13th October our fabulous Golden Arrow premier dining service is being hauled 60009 ‘Union of South Africa’!
The Golden Arrow is the perfect setting for a special meal with friends or an intimate evening for two. The train recreates the fabulous Golden Arrow which once linked London and Paris, with the style and panache which made it one of the most glamorous and famous trains in the world. Once on board, you will enjoy fine food and wine served to the standards of yesteryear.
Departing at 7.30pm from Sheffield Park, enjoy a delicious 3-course meal whilst travelling through the beautiful countryside of the Sussex Weald!
Find out more about the Golden Arrow at the Bluebell Railway.
- Pullman (Christine or Fingall carriages) – Adult – £85
- 1st Class Dining Carriage (Ashdown) – Adult – £72.50
To book your seats on this very special train, please call our Customer Services team on 01825 720800
Prices include travel and a three course meal
A £1.80 booking fee (per booking) will be applied to telephone bookings
- Bookings made in person at either the Sales and Information Office at Sheffield Park or the Travel Centre at East Grinstead will not incur a booking fee.
- We are currently unable to accept payment by credit/debit card for drinks and sundries on our Golden Arrow trains. Payment can be made by cash or cheque only until further notice
- Dogs (other than assistance dogs) are not permitted on our dining trains