On selected dates in 2019 Footplate Extra! offers you the rare and exciting opportunity to experience first-hand firing and driving one of the railway’s fleet of historic steam engines!
One of our larger locos will be on duty for this fantastic experience along the line between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes and your 2½hr experience will take place under the guidance of our friendly & knowledgeable crew.
Lunch at the popular Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park is included in the price along with tickets for up to 2 guests to accompany you in a carriage hauled by the loco you’ll be driving.
Perfect for that special present, or just the chance for a dream to come true….. this could be the answer.
- 2¾ hr footplate experience under the guidance of our experienced loco crews, Departing from & returning to Sheffield Park station.
- ½ hr driving & ½ hr firing one of our magnificent steam locomotives, between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes stations and be part of the crew whilst the loco runs around, couples up and prepares for departures.
- Your own guide to answer questions and give you a tour of Sheffield Park station, with the opportunity to visit the signal box, SteamWorks! and our locomotive workshop.
- Lunch in the Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park station
- Tickets for up to 2 guests to travel in a carriage behind the loco during your experience (please note lunch will be available for guests but is not included in the experience price)
- A certificate for you to take away on completion.
- Be aged 18+
- Be reasonably fit and in good health – able to ascend and descend a ladder unassisted.
- Wear suitable protective clothing, which covers arms and legs at all times. Clothing that may easily melt or catch fire if it comes into contact with hot surfaces/materials is not suitable (e.g. polyester/nylon). Gloves are also advisable.
- Wear sturdy footwear
- Not attend the experience under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Read the Medical Brief and meet the standards required in the Medical Self-Assessment Questionnaire before being allowed to take part.
- Participants will be required to complete a medical self-assessment questionnaire prior to taking part. Bluebell Railway reserves the right to cancel bookings were the participant fails to meet the required health standards.
- Bluebell Railway reserves the right to reschedule a driving experience if the minimum number of participants booked on a specific day is not reached, or for any other reason.
- Locomotives from our current available fleet will be used and cannot be specified in advance.