Bluebell Railway runs various clubs and activities for young people interested in railways:
The Stepney Club is for children up to the age of eight years old. The aim is to foster an interest in the railway heritage; a sort of Thomas the Tank Engine for the discerning.
Stepney is the figurehead engine – he was the first engine to come to the railway in 1960 and featured in his own book (no.18), “Stepney the “Bluebell” Engine” by the Rev. W. Awdry.
Members of the Stepney Club will receive:
- A badge, membership card and discounted travel on the Bluebell Railway at any time
- A card from Stepney on their birthday
- A magazine every four months containing stories, pictures, puzzles, information about upcoming events and letters and drawings from members
- A Stepney Club carriage on one of our Santa trains at Christmas with reduced price tickets for members and the families”
- A summer event – either a birthday party for Stepney on the railway or an outing to a railway-themed venue
The cost is £8 for a year’s membership, £15.00 for two years and £20.00 for three years.
Please download and fill out this form to join, and send a cheque or postal order made payable to Bluebell Railway Plc to:
The Stepney Club,c/o Gerry Smith White Cottage 78 Limpsfield Road South Croydon Surrey CR2 0LN
Bluebell Railway’s 9F Club supports the Bluebell Railway Preservation Society (BRPS) by channelling the enthusiasm of young people for steam engines and railways, from merely watching, to actually learning the reality of what it takes to run a preserved railway. The club allows young people between 9 and 16 years of age to undertake ‘hands on’ activities in small groups under experienced adult supervision.
The 9F Club meets once a month, from March to November, alternating between Saturdays and Sundays. Most of the time the members get very dirty while enjoying, what is often, a hard day of physical activity.
Many members, on leaving the 9F club when they are 16, commence working as volunteers in their preferred department(s) at the railway.
The 9F Club has a safeguarding policy, all adult supervisors are DBS checked and all members sign, and are required to abide by, an annual behaviour agreement.
On Health and Safety grounds this is not a suitable environment for children requiring special supervision.
Membership of the 9F Club is at the discretion of the Bluebell Railway, whose decision is final.
- Joining fee – £15.00pp (this covers the cost of the 9F Cap and badges)
- Annual subscription – £15.00pp (payable each year during membership)
Please Note – For insurance purposes, to be a member of the 9F Club, you will also need to be a member of the Bluebell Railway Preservation Society. You can find out more about membership here.
There is currently a waiting list to join the 9F Club. To join the waiting list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org