R3782 SECR 751 A1X Class Terrier 0-6-0T SE&CR Green Livery OO

£89.00

Out of stock

Information
Categories: , , Tags: , ,

The South Eastern & Chatam Railway purchased one for goods service on the Sheppey Light Railway, where the railmotor passenger cars in service were unable to haul goods wagons. This engine has survived through both Southern and British Railways ownership to be preserved in Canada.

L&BSCR duplicate listed in 1900 as No. 654 Waddon, the locomotive somehow escaped being disposed of and was sold to the SE&CR on 26 August, 1904 for

Built in 1876 and entering traffic on February 16th, No.54 Waddon was allocated to New Cross working mainly across the East London Line until, on August 26, 1904, the locomotive was sold to the South Eastern & Chatham Railway to work on the Sheppey Light Railway. Having been repainted into full Brunswick green and renumbered 751, the engine was sent to the New Romney Branch for testing, prior to moving to Sheerness on May 24, 1905. Such was the locomotive’s popularity on the island that 751 soon acquired the nickname “Little Tich” after Harry Relph, the toast of London music hall as the ‘Man of Kent’.