The Bluebell Railway will be reopening and running services again from Thursday 3 December in line with the Government’s lifting of the national lockdown in England and complying with the relevant tier restrictions.
The railway runs between Sheffield Park in East Sussex and East Grinstead in West Sussex. Both counties have been placed in Tier 2 (high alert) which allows businesses to operate in a Covid-secure manner. Read our Covid-19 Safety measures and FAQs here
Visitors to the Bluebell Railway should:
- Wear a face covering, especially in the shop and museum and other indoor spaces, unless exempt
- Comply with the ‘Rule of Six’ preventing socialising in larger groups unless part of a larger household or support bubble
- Observe social distancing by staying 2 metres apart from other people
- Follow the advice on washing hands regularly and for longer
- Stay away and inform the Railway if people show any Covid symptoms or have tested positive for coronavirus.
Come and enjoy afternoon tea with a festive twist at Bluebell Railway!
The experience includes a scenic and relaxing journey through the Sussex Weald. Enjoy the views while you travel in one of our comfortable 1950/60’s lounge or restaurant carriages.
Our Festive Afternoon Tea menu includes mulled wine, sandwiches filled with festive fillings and Christmas cakes and pastries – including mince pies, Christmas cake and shortbread.
This service departs Sheffield Park at 12:30pm for a return trip to East Grinstead, returning to Sheffield Park at 2:15pm.
Menu (please click to open)
Our vegetarian, gluten free and vegan Christmas afternoon tea menus will be available soon. Please let us know if you would like one of these options during the booking process.
Tea/coffee/water/fruit juice is also included in the price.
Tickets cost £50.00 per person and are sold as tables for two, three or four.
For your safety:
- Face Coverings – must be worn in public places such as on the platforms, in the museum and SteamWorks! and when boarding or alighting from the trains in accordance to Government guidance. Face coverings can be removed when seated on board, but will need to be worn if passengers leave their seat to use the toilet, and when entering and leaving the train.
- Socially distanced seating – Our onboard seating capacity has been reduced to allow for a comfortable, socially distanced journey. We ask passengers to remain in their allocated seats throughout the journey, unless they need to leave their seat to use the toilet.
- Table service – All meals are hygienically pre-plated. All our serving staff have been fully trained and will follow the government guidelines for serving of food and drinks.
Please visit our Covid-19 Safety measures page to read about all the measures we have put in place to ensure your visit is safe and enjoyable.
The Government has announced changes that came into force in England on Monday 14 September limiting the number of people who can meet socially. Visitors to Bluebell Railway must be in groups of six people or fewer unless you are visiting as a household or support bubble which is larger than six. For more information please visit our Covid-19 Safety Measures page
- We regret that owing to the age and design of the carriages used for this service, we are unable to accommodate wheelchair-bound passengers.
- If you or a member of your party have mobility issues and would like to travel on this service, please call our Customer Services Team on 01825 720800 who will be happy to discuss your requirements with you.