Road meets Rail
ROAD MEETS RAIL WILL RETURN TO THE BLUEBELL RAILWAY ON THE 18TH & 19TH MAY 2024!
DETAILS FOR THE 2023 EVENT CAN BE FOUND BELOW.
(PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DETAILS OF THE 2024 ROAD MEETS RAIL EVENT WILL BE PUBLICISED IN DUE COURSE)
Road Meets Rail- From The Air
Our 2023 Road meets Rail event will be taking place 20 – 21 May at Horsted Keynes Station. Last year it was a fabulous event on our calendar, and we are really pleased to welcome it back. Hop on and off trains all day with your event ticket. With this ticket, you can start your journey at any of our four stations, but don’t forget to refer to the timetable for the day of travel so you can plan where and when you will catch your trains.
Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 May
Step back in time for a weekend of steam powered demonstrations and vintage fairground fun! Traction engines, road rollers, steam wagons, showman’s engines, crane engines and more… bringing Horsted Keynes station to life with recreations of a bygone age.
See how road building, wood sawing, timber haulage and thrashing were carried out in the early 1900s. Watch as steam wagons and pantechnicons arrive with goods to be unloaded for onward rail transport and larger loads are craned into wagons. Experience vintage fairground rides, enjoy an ice cream and watch miniature steam displays in the paddock, with a fabulous view of the passenger trains passing by.
On Saturday evening, we will be hosting live music, food and drink at Horsted Keynes after the event on this day. Everyone is welcome to this event so come along, wind down and enjoy the evening with us!
On Both Days
Steam-hauled passenger trains will be passing through the station and a goods train (hauled by No.72 Fenchurch) will be shunting in and out amid the activity! Immerse yourself in the attraction of fine steam-based machinery which will be in attendance throughout the weekend. It’s steam at its best; both on and off the rails! Suitable for all ages.
The weekend timetable is now available to view below.
ROAD MEETS RAIL FARES 2023
ADVANCE TICKET PRICES- Not available after midday into Sunday 21st
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – Adult||£30.00|
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – Child (3-15 years)||£15.00|
|Road Meets Rail – Advance Travel + Event – Family (2adults and up to 3 children 3-15 years)||£70.00|
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – Carer||£0.00|
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – BRPS Adult||£15.00|
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – BRPS Child (3-15 years)||£7.50|
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – BRPS Family (2 adults and up to 3 children
|Road Meets Rail – Advanced Travel + Event – BRPS Life Member||£0.00|
|Road Meets Rail Booking Fee||£1.95|
ON THE DAY PRICES
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – Adult||£32.00|
|Road Meets Rail -On The Day Travel + Event – Child (3-15 years)||£16.00|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day + Event – Family (2adults and up to 3 children 3-15 years)||£75.00|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – Carer||£0.00|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – BRPS Adult||£16.00|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – BRPS Child (3-15 years)||£8.00|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – BRPS Family (2 adults and up to 3 children (3-15 years)||£37.50|
|Road Meets Rail – On The Day Travel + Event – BRPS Life Member||£0.00|
|Road Meets Rail Event Admission Ticket Adult (No Rail Travel)*||£10.00|
|Road Meets Rail Event Admission Ticket Child (No Rail Travel)*||£5.00|
* This ticket allows you access to the whole station area and event field at Horsted Keynes where the working demonstrations are taking place throughout the weekend. This does not include rail travel if you purchase this ticket.
Advance tickets – available to purchase until midnight the day before travel.
Upgrades – Rover Tickets are for 3rd class travel only (with the exception of BPRS LIFE Member Rovers which are 1st class). Upgrades to 1st class are available at station booking offices on the day of travel (subject to availability). 1st class Upgrades are £10 per adult and £5 per child.
BRPS – Bluebell Railway Preservation Society. Enjoy many membership benefits including discounted travel. Visit our Membership page for more information and to join.
- Proof of discount eligability will be required to be shown on the day of travel.
- TOC and Heritage Railway reciprocal discounts are available on this service – please contact Customer Service and Sales on 01825 720800
- There are toilets at each of our stations and on some of these services (dependant on carriages on the day)
- Food and drink is available to purchase at all of our stations
- Sheffield Park Station – free parking at the station
- Horsted Keynes Station – free parking will be available nearby on the approach to the station. With the exception of disabled parking available beside the Carriage & Wagon workshop, there will be no parking available on the site of Horsted Keynes station during this weekend.
- Kingscote – NO parking is available at this station
- East Grinstead – free blue badge parking (5 spaces). Public parking in East Grinstead
- Children under 3yrs (and babies) travel for free and don’t need a ticket
- Tickets are valid for the date and journey specified on the ticket only
- Advance tickets are valid for 3rd class travel only – first class upgrades are available on the day from the station booking office (subject to availability)
- For any reasons for changing any Bluebell booking, you will be required to pay a £10.00 surcharge if you wish to change/amend your booking.
- This service offers free seating
- customers with 3rd class tickets are free to seat themselves on the trains in any 3rd class seat
- customers who purchase a 1st class upgrade on the day may seat themselves in any 1st class seat
- We are pleased to offer a specially adapted area for wheelchair users on some departures of this service. Please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 to check availability
- If you or a member of your party have mobility issues and would like to travel on this service, please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 who will be happy to discuss your requirements with you
- Accessible toilets are available at each station, but we regret we have no “Changing Places” toilets, or accessible toilets on our trains
- We are pleased to welcome dogs on this service – please keep them on a lead and don’t allow them on the seats
- Prams/pushchairs/buggies are welcome on this service.
- Foldable/collapsible prams/pushchairs/buggies can be taken into the carriages and stowed by your seat
- Non folding/collapsible prams/pushchairs/buggies can be left in the care of the station staff at the departure station
You can find out the latest for this event and others this year through our Bluebell Railway NewsLetter. Click on the button below to sign up and be the first to get the latest announcements when they are released!
Images kindly supplied by David Cable, Matthew Cousins, James Cummins, James Hamilton, Alice Shergold & Stephen Trower