Monday 29nd October – Friday 30th November
- We’re really sorry but there are no timetabled trains running over this period. Pre-booked events will go ahead as scheduled (Footplate Extra! and Footplate Tasters).
- BUT – we are open for food, drinks and shopping! Our platforms at Sheffield Park are also open for viewing.
- Fancy a drink, snack, or something more substantial? Why not try our family-friendly restaurant the Bessemer Arms on Platform 1 at Sheffield Park? Or our beautiful buffet car the Grinsteade Buffet at East Grinstead? Open all year, serving everything from a sandwich or slice of cake to a full meal, the Bessemer Arms is open:
Weekdays: 10:00am – 3:00pm (Breakfast Baps: 10:00am – 11:30am Hot Food: 12:00pm – 2:00pm)
Weekends: 8:30am – 5:00pm (Full Breakfast: 08:30am – 11:30am Hot Food: 12:00pm – 3:00pm)
On selected Sundays, you can enjoy our popular Carvery in the Birch Grove Suite above the Bessemer Arms (pre-booking advisable).
- The Grinsteade Buffet is open all year serving quality drinks, sandwiches, cakes & snacks:
Open daily from 9.00am – 3.00pm
- Our Shop will be open every day from 10.00am to 3.30pm
- The Bullied Society Shop on Platform 2 at Sheffield Park will be open on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays selling used railway and transport books, magazines, railway memorabilia and photographs, DVDs and videos, timetables and models.
- Our Museum at Sheffield Park is shut this month, and will next be open on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th December.
- SteamWorks! and our Locomotive Shed are also shut this month.
- Our Christmas Events start on 1st December with our ever popular Santa Specials – running on 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd and 24th December
- On 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 11th and 12th December why not try our Festive Feast? Enjoy a return steam train ride from East Grinstead station and a delicious Christmas Lunch in the Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park?
- Or on 21st December why not join us for A Horsted Christmas? A nostalgic Victorian Christmas with Santa, his reindeer & more. Enjoy a delicious Christmas hamper aboard a period steam train. Visit Horsted Keynes for festive Victorian fairground fun and meet Santa & his reindeer!
- If you fancy something extra special, we are running our fabulous Christmas Golden Arrow premier dining train throughout December (1st, 8th, 14th, 15th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd).
Our brand new exhibition – ‘Steam Works!’
Situated in the locomotive shed, SteamWorks! uses touchscreen displays, information boards, and interactives to bring the science and mechanics of steam to life.
The star of the show is an interactive model of a locomotive! Based on our very own Terrier Class locomotive ‘Stepney’ (as featured in the Thomas the Tank Engine book series), this special ‘engine’ features a display showing how the engine’s boiler works, and, as an added bonus, a special driving experience simulator in the cab will enable you to experience what it’s like to drive Stepney on the Bluebell Railway!
You’ll also be able to get up close to some of our beautiful locomotives on display. Special walkways and platforms will enable you to examine and wonder at the engineering involved and even let you climb onto the footplates of some of the engines!
Entrance included in your travel or platform ticket.
Autumn/Winter Opening Times
When trains are running – 10.00am to 4.oopm (both Steamworks! and the locomotive shed)
When no timetabled trains are running – sorry, both Steamworks! and the locomotive shed will be closed.
Food & Drink at the Railway Fancy a drink, snack, or something more substantial whilst visiting us? From our family-friendly restaurant to quick coffee & cake breaks, the Bluebell Railway has a great selection of places to eat! Why not try the Bessemer Arms on Platform 1 at Sheffield Park station, serving everything from a sandwich or slice of cake to a full meal. On selected Sundays, you can enjoy our popular Carvery in the Birch Grove Suite above the Bessemer Arms (pre-booking advisable). Alternatively, the charming period King George V Buffet at Horsted Keynes station serves tea, coffee, and snacks every day that trains are running, and light meals are also available at weekends and during school holidays. At our East Grinstead station, pop into the Grinsteade Buffet, which offers quality teas, coffees, cakes, and snacks all served in our beautiful dining carriage. Scrummy Cream Teas are also available for pre-order.
Stay up to date! sign up to our What’s On mailing list.