SteamLights WILL RETURN IN WINTER 2023
Brighten up the chilly winter evenings with a seasonal lights spectacular!
SteamLights Will Return To The Bluebell Railway In Winter 2023!
Sparkle, glow and shimmer on a magical steam train covered by thousands of colourful lights.
Illuminate the dark landscape as you journey and feast your eyes on an amazing light show along the way. With brand new sparkling displays, music and narration, this is a steam train experience not to be missed!
- Before boarding, witness the new, big switch on performance as we light up the darkness of Sheffield Park Station
- Board for the magical journey and be seated in the luxury of your own compartment with your party. Why not make it a whole family affair or bring a group of friends to make the most of the compartment? Then add a special picnic box stuffed with tasty treats and drinks at time of booking and we will put them in your compartment to make the journey extra special!
- Journey through the Sussex countryside under cover of darkness, bringing shimmering light and colour as you go. Along the way, enjoy new festive-themed scenes among the trees and clearings and a colourful light show orchestrated in time with music and narration. A multi-sensory feast!
- Arrive at Horsted Keynes Station and disembark for 30 minutes to take photographs of your spectacular train covered in lights. The atmospheric country station adorned with lights and festive decoration provides the perfect backdrop.
- As you return to Sheffield Park, enjoy a second chance to sparkle through the countryside and view the festive scenes you may have missed the first time.
The whole experience will be approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a separate service to Santa Specials – Santa will not be appearing on our SteamLights service.
If you are visiting and travelling with us, please take a moment to read this customer notice here
SteamLights 2023 Dates Will Be Confirmed Soon!
Are you still running Santa Specials?
This is a separate service to Santa Specials. Santa will not appear on Steamlights - he is very busy packing presents for our Santa Specials.
Where will the SteamLights service run to and from?
Services will begin at Sheffield Park for a return trip to Horsted Keynes.
How many people can sit in a compartment?
Tickets are sold per compartment, or tables for four. Third class compartments can seat up to eight people, and first class compartments can seat up to six people.
Will I have to share my compartment?
No - tickets are sold per compartment and groups will not be sharing with other parties.
What is the difference between a first and third class compartment?
First class compartments contain wider, plusher seats and are more luxurious.
Do toddlers and babies need their own seats?
Children aged three and under can sit on laps. We advise older children to have their own seat.
Will there be toilets on the train?
No, but there will be at Sheffield Park Station and Horsted Keynes where you can disembark for 30 minutes. The journey time is 25 minutes each way.
Are there any discounts available?
Carers travel free when accompanying a registered disabled passenger. Please complete the wheelchair accommodation form to request a booking. There are no discounts available on this service.
Is this service accessible?
We are pleased to offer a specially adapted area for wheelchair users on this service. Please call 01825 720800 to check availability and book. If you or a member of your party have mobility issues and would like to travel on this service, please call 01825 720800 and we will be happy to discuss your requirements with you.
Can I bring my dog?
Unfortunately dogs are not permitted on this service, with the exception of assistant dogs.
Is there a car park?
We have a large free car park for visitors at Sheffield Park.
Can I buy or bring food?
You can grab a selection of tasty snacks, hot & cold drinks and refreshments from our food kiosk and The Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park. Hot & cold drinks and snacks will be made available from The King George V buffet at Horsted Keynes. You can buy picnic boxes, however, these will be limited in number. These can be purchased at The Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park. You are also welcome to bring your own refreshments if you wish.
What shops will be open?
Once you arrive back at Sheffield Park you will have the opportunity to purchase souvenirs and gifts from our Shop before you leave.
What happens at Horsted Keynes?
At Horsted Keynes you will be able to get off the train to take photos on the platform and admire the spectacular lights. You will have 30 minutes at Horsted Keynes – enough time to buy teas and coffees and another cup of mulled wine on sale outside the Buffet.
Will there be platform only admission tickets?
Unfortunately platform admission tickets are not available during SteamLights.
Can I take my pram/pushchair on the train?
We're sorry but it isn't possible to take prams/buggies/pushchairs onto our trains during this event. These may be left in the care of the station staff at the departure station